Thursday, February 21, 2008

PWRFL Power & Chubby Behemoth

PWRFL Power is a musician from Japan by way of Seattle and former member of the experimental-improv-noise group, Na. PWRFL Power - Kaz Nomura and his guitar - is melodic sweetness to my ears: his lyrics, childlike in their simplicity, are cute, charming and awkwardly funny:
"Let me teach you how to hold chopsticks/You're so pretty/and holding them wrong/You're so pretty/but holding them wrong./My dad used to beat me up because I was holding them wrong/And I don't want to beat you up/Because you're so pretty."

PWRFL Power on Myspace
PWRFL Power performing "Two Keys."


Last night, I saw him at the Cake Shop with Chubby Behemoth. Chubby Behemoth is face-melting: free-jazz finding its way out of periods of extraordinarily well-composed (so disjointed and destroyed that you know it has to be carefully contrived...maybe) and melodic metal-distortion. At least two band members are accomplished, studied musicians whose forays into experimental music started, appropriately, with their moves to Brooklyn. Totally offensive and brash in their performance, their brand of noise was so amazingly discombobulated they were playing in the audience.

Live at Death By Audio
Chubby Behemoth

No comments: